Monday 14 December 2015

RESEARCH: FILM POSTER

When deciding on what our film poster should look like, I decided to do some research into film posters in the psychological thriller genre. I looked on various websites such as on Pinterest and on Google Images, to see what the main aspects were of psychological thriller film posters and what the poster did to draw the audience in. When looking at the posters, there was a common factor in most of them, which was that they all feature close ups of faces, including the sociopath and the victim.

On my Pinterest account, I created a board solely for the research of psychological thriller posters. HERE is a link to that board. The reason I chose to make a board for this was so that the development and construction of the poster would be much easier and I will know what to do. Another reason, why I decided to do detailed research into film posters of this genre was so that I could adapt some aspects so that my film poster could look believable.

There were many posters we looked at ranging from Psycho to Black Swan, however one specifically stood out for me, which was the poster for Single White Female. The Single White Female is the poster we will base ours off of, since it is a psychological thriller and is has a similar target audience, implying that both of the films revolve around young sociopaths. I thought that the poster was intriguing and really makes someone want to watch the film from the sinister look of the sociopath to the victim to the tagline which reads 'Allie's new roommate is about to borrow a few things without asking. Her clothes. Her boyfriend. Her life. Living with a roommate can be murder', I feel that this tagline really captures the story of the film and makes it stand out from others.

The aspects from the Single White Female poster that will be put onto my poster will be:
- Close ups of faces
- The Title of the film (Focus)
- A Tagline
- Billing Block
- Cast Members Names
- Institutional Information

An aspect which I will put on my poster which is not on the Single White Female poster is social media information, since every film in the past 3 years have a Twitter, Instagram and Facebook account for the purpose of attracting and addressing their audience. When Single White Female was released in 1992, there was no internet, let alone social media.



No comments:

Post a Comment